|at General Dynamics Electric Boat|
|Date Posted||November 28, 2017|
|Job Type|| Full-time|
The Process Engineering Organization provides mission-critical support to EB leadership by developing and managing the organization’s improvement strategies, executing improvement initiatives, mentoring and supporting employees in executing improvement, and measuring the impact of an organization’s improvement activities. These activities are linked to EB business objectives and support our commitment to the US Navy to design, build and deliver submarines that enable their continued supremacy.
Both Salaried Process Engineer/Black Belt and Hourly MDA Black Belt positions are available and will receive training and certification in Lean, Six Sigma, Change Leadership, and Process Management in support of improving Electric Boat’s business processes. Candidates will be responsible for leading teams on projects, workshops, Rapid Improvement (RIE) or Design Build Sustain (DBS) events to improve safety and quality, reduce cost, and improve schedule performance.
- Assisting organizations in identifying, planning, and implementing Process Improvements and Lean Six Sigma Projects and ensure they align with company objectives
- Organizing projects into manageable activities and milestones for team members, developing clear problem/object statements, project charters, and other documents
- Staying focused on priorities and driving projects to completion, navigating roadblocks or addressing/escalating the impassable ones
- Working with leadership and employees on applying Lean and Six Sigma approaches to help achieve process excellence
- Providing management with scheduled project status updates, soliciting feedback, and resolving barriers to achieving success.
- Providing mentorship to employees when leading change
- Train others in Lean and Six Sigma methodologies
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement in the organization
Selected applicants must demonstrate strong project management and prioritization skills working under minimal supervision, in a team environment, and be able to complete Black Belt projects including preparing and issuing final reports. Candidates must be capable of combining assertive initiative with professional discipline to accomplish challenging tasks, and work as Change Agents to remove barriers that hinder change. Selected MDA applicants will remain in their current job title.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Industrial or Systems Engineering preferred
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office, specifically Excel.
- US Citizenship required
- Experience in Design or Engineering
- At least 2 years of project management experience.
- Green Belt and Black Belt training and certification.
- Past experience with Lean, Kaizen, or Toyota Production Systems is highly desired.
- Hands-on experience interacting with and analyzing data from enterprise business systems
- Project Manager skills, including scoping, team building, execution, schedule/cost management, testing/piloting, and implementation
- Experience or strong familiarity the EB Engineering & Design Organizations, products and processes Quality, Supply Chain, Planning, IT, Finance and the VIRGINIA and COLUMBIA Programs
- Motivated, performance driven individual with strong leadership skills.
- Strong presentation and oral/written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, using a combination of active listening, verbal and non-verbal methods.
- Works well in team environment.
- Strong facilitation skills, including facilitation of meetings greater than 2 hours in front of 10-30 people
- Ability to lead Rapid Improvement/Kaizen Events
- Must have a working knowledge of the principles of analytical problem solving techniques and data-based decision making.
- Solid functional expertise and a reputation as a change leader.
- Able to combine initiative with professionalism to accomplish difficult tasks.
- Knowledgeable in developing a company’s Continuous Improvement strategies and vision.
- Understanding of basic probability and statistics.
- PMP certification preferred.