|at Government of Alberta|
|Date Posted||September 29, 2018|
Program Services 5
Alberta Transportation, Edmonton. The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the populations we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit
Alberta Transportation’s mandate is to ensure the transportation system enables Alberta’s economic, social and environmental vitality. With Alberta Transportation, you can engage in a fulfilling career with diverse room to grow. We believe in building careers, providing opportunities for growth within the organization, and strive to provide our staff with a work-life balance.
To learn more about Alberta Transportation, follow the link to:
Are you an experienced Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt (MBB) looking for a new challenge in leading Operational Excellence deployment within the public sector? We are looking for you to join our highly motivated and skilled team! This is an exciting opportunity created to make a positive impact within the Ministry of Alberta Transportation (AT) and across the Government of Alberta. This position is the ideal fit for a dynamic individual with vast experience in business performance improvements looking for a challenging and rewarding experience that results in ultimate satisfaction and continued growth while impacting the lives of Albertans.
Reporting to the Director, Operational Excellence, this position is responsible for the following among others:
- Provide senior-level support and expertise for the deployment of Operational Excellence at AT. The deployment has a great momentum and engagement.
- Lead complex and strategic OE improvement projects scoped at MBB level across the Ministry.
- Oversee the delivery of OE Lean Six Sigma (LSS) Yellow Belt training engagement workshops across the Ministry to provide an entry-level skill in Operational Excellence.
- Lead the development and delivery of the LSS Green Belt and Black Belt training, coaching, and certification program to develop OE project leaders with the advanced level of OE skills.
- Identify gaps within OE deployment and lead the development and delivery of programs to plug the gaps such as Process Owners’ and Executive Sponsors’ training and coaching among others.
This position will work with all levels of management across the Ministry to identify key business drivers, challenges, and requirements that affect service delivery. This requires experience in dealing with ambiguity and strong expertise in business processes and stakeholder management. In addition, this role involves a substantial communication component including engagement with the senior executive team.
To be successful in this role, you must possess:
- Exceptional ability to overcome obstacles and achieve desired results consistently.
- Strong change leadership skills and experience in leading culture change initiatives.
- Excellent facilitation and training skills and abilities.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships across diverse groups and levels. Influence without authority and motivate Staff to develop better ways of providing service.
- Exceptional verbal, written, listening, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Passionate quest for continuous improvements and Operational Excellence.
Salary: $2,963.75 – $3,904.80 bi-weekly ($77,354 – $101,915 annually). Closing Date: October 22, 2018. Job ID #1051293
- University degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration, or related field.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience leading OE deployments, facilitation, training, coaching, and certifying belts in a large organization.
- Training and experience in the integration of Lean Six Sigma, and other business process improvement principles (i.e. best practices, business process management).
- Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt certification at the highest level of train the trainer and coaching by an internationally reputable organization.
- Experience leading strategic OE complex projects at MBB level within transactional and service areas.
- Experience developing training curriculum and materials used in training and certifying Belts and other OE training programs.
- Experience leading strategic OE projects in a corporate services environment with executive level management.
- Experience working in the public sector.
- Certification in change management and/or project management.
Equivalencies will be considered on the basis of 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or 1 year of experience for 1 year of education.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
The link below will assist you with understanding competencies:
Your competencies are:
- Building a Collaborative Environment & Developing Network – You will directly and indirectly influence business results through partnering with ministry staff, clients and stakeholders.
- Agility – You facilitate change initiatives, build support for change and guide the change process required for organizational success.
- Systems Thinking – To successfully establish the business process framework, you must have a broad view of the Ministry, its goals and initiatives and the desired future direction of the Ministry.
- Creative Problem Solving – You combine different approaches and perspectives to think through issues to reach the best improvement solutions.
- Drive for Results – Takes accountability and risks to achieve outcomes and broader organizational needs and lead project teams in the completion of the project in a timely manner.
- Creative Problem Solving – Assessing options and implications in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
This is a permanent opportunity that works from the Twin Atria building, located at 4999 – 98 avenue, Edmonton. There will be moderate travel requirements as need be across Alberta.
Candidates with lesser experience may be considered at a lower classification and salary level.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta.
Your resume and cover letter will be used as a screening tool. Please ensure to include a cover letter that demonstrates your experience in business analysis and project management.
Please include the month as well as the year when listing your work experience.
Besides being a great place to work and one where you can make a difference, we can offer you:
- Exciting learning opportunities to further your skills
- Chances for career growth and development
- A comprehensive and competitive benefits plan: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/Practitioners/DocList411.cfm
- Pension plan: http://www.pspp.ca/
- A positive workplace culture and work-life balance
Tips on Applying on Alberta Government Jobs see here: https://www.jobs.alberta.ca/applying/index.html
YOUR VALID E-MAIL ADDRESS AND THE JOB ID # MUST BE INCLUDED WITH YOUR APPLICATION.
Online applications are preferred via www.jobs.alberta.ca. If you apply online, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted as ONE file and that you include the Job ID #. Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your last then first name followed by the seven-digit Job Opening ID number (Smith,Joe_XXXXXXX) and that the document name is no more than 60 characters in length. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition. Please DO NOT submit multiple applications.
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
As there are pre-screening questions with this competition, you are required to apply on-line. If you have difficulties applying on-line, please contact me at the number below.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates’ education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Lisa Engel or Chris Churchill at (780) 422-5838.
Please follow us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/government-of-alberta
Although this competition is closing on October 22, 2018, please continue to check jobs.alberta.ca for all career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.