|at Abbott (view profile)|
|Location||Santa Ana, CA|
|Date Posted||February 9, 2017|
At Abbott, we’re committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we’ve brought new products and technologies to the world — in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals — that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve. Please note that candidates need to be eligible to work in the U.S. without Abbott sponsorship.
Primary Job Function
This Sr. Project Manager (Black Belt) role is responsible for Leading and Mentoring R&D project teams through analytical problem solving and Design of Experiments needed to identify and resolve the root cause of project development issues. This involves emphasis on the DMAIC problem solving methodology. The role is also responsible for coaching teams on the use of Design for Six Sigma tools and facilitating foundation training workshops on topics such as Minitab, DOE, MSA, Statistical Sample Size, Tolerance Design and Process Control, and Innovative Problem Solving. There will also be some limited mentorship of R&D Green and Black Belt candidates. Finally, there will be a heavy emphasis on facilitating and supporting the R&D Design Control product development process. This includes the coordination of design control trainers brought in to teach the organization and internal subject matter experts needed to help the organization maintain consistently in the proper
use of this process.
Core Job Responsibilities:
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
• Prepares project reports, analyses and delivers presentations including to New Products Committee at gate meetings.
• Develops processes to support project execution within the AMO development process including compliance with FDA regulations.
• Executes high quality, integrated cross-functional project plans including development of project charter, schedule, milestones, NPV, risks, issues and resources needed.
• Directs project teams in the determination of feasibility of new or modified product designs by considering performance, costs, predictability, ease of implementation, serviceability, time limitations and other economic factors; expeditiously implements the best approach.
• Primary point of contact for the project and interface with Technical Leader on technical issues, Functional Manager on resource issues and Executive Sponsor on project issues.
• Facilitates cross-functional communication between R&D, Marketing, Operations, Quality Assurance and Clinical/ Regulatory organizations.
• Leads project team meetings and develop and manage agenda, minutes and follow up action items.
• Resolves issues, conflicts and project bottlenecks as they arise, negotiating effectively with others.
• Ensures projects run in compliance with Design Control Regulations.
• May supervise the activities of other lower-level personnel.
• Interpersonal – adapts style as needs demand to garner buy-in and commitment
• Problem solver –manage conflicts, obstacles, issues and risks in a creative manner
• Planning / Organization – can define objectives and break down into executable tasks with scheduling and tracking for overall plan execution; can prioritize activities by importance and meet tight deadlines; manages meetings effectively;
• Communication – deliver presentations effectively to small and large groups (including senior management) and create alignment between cross-functional team members through effective communication
• Team management –builds, leads and motivates teams and drives to consensus
• Maturity – handles pressure situations, can separate minor issues from major ones, comfortable challenging positions, and escalates when appropriate
Position Accountability / Scope:
Reports to director of Project Management or Program Manager. Leads cross-functional communication between R&D, Marketing, Operations and Clinical/ Regulatory organizations. Primary point of contact for the project and interface with Technical Leader on technical issues, Functional Manager on resource issues and Executive Sponsor on project issues. Leads up to 3 new project teams composed of 8-12 core team members, responsible for agenda, minutes and follow up action items. Accountable for project budgets typically ranging from $2-6 million annually.
BA or BS in Engineering or Science fields or equivalent years of experience.
Minimum Experience / Training Required:
• 3-5 years of experience in new product development in technology-driven manufacturing industry (could be in Marketing, R&D, Clinical, Operations, etc. role)
• 8 plus years of experience in Project Management role; Must demonstrate technical project management skills
• Medical device experience highly preferred but not required
• Experience with MS Office including MS Project
• PMP Certification preferred but not required
• Six Sigma Black Belt or Green Belt project certifications preferred, but not required
Clinical Affairs / Statistics
AMO Medical Optics
United States > Santa Ana : 1700 East St. Andrew Place
Yes, 5 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link – English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link – Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf